Honestly, who does not like chicken fingers? They are like the quintessential comfort food. Easy to dip, eat, and accessible to almost everyone. As a picky eater growing up, I am sure my family would tell you I lived on these pretty much exclusively. As an adult I try a lot more things, but, I still adore these. And these particular ones made my husband, who is still eating standard carb filled lifestyle, say they were the “best he has ever had”.
Bold statement, I know. They are really freaking good though and can stand up to that claim. Or at least be DAMN CLOSE. A breakdown of why:
- I use the 3 part dip method. (Typically flour, egg wash, and then crumb coat)
- NO PORK RINDS. I am not knocking pork rinds, I even make the Pork Rind Crusted Chicken on a night I want to be lazy. This just does not utilize that.
- Seasoning. I cannot express this enough. When you use meat, season it.
- Verstile. I have personally tried this air fried and the oven, but I am certain it would stand up to deep frying too and still cling to the chicken.
So…it does not just come off when you pick it up, or just flake off? Hard to believe, but really, it is the truth. It was flavorful, light and crispy and I definitely recommend it for anyone. Especially families with picky adults or children. Post workout these would be amazing too!
Let’s get started!
What you need:
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts cut into tenders
- 3 scoops isopure or your favorite protein powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup psyllium husks
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3- 1/4 tsp paprika separated
- 3- 1/4 tsp garlic powder separated
- 3- 1/2 tsp oregano separated
- 3- 1/2 tsp chili powder separated
- 3- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper separated
Equipment you will need:
- Fake frying Vessel (Airfryer/ Oven and Baking sheet)
- 3 bowls
- Can of non stick spray
- Cutting Board
- 2 forks (or two clean hands)
How it is done:
- If your chicken breasts are not already cut up, cut them into strips or tenders. I do this step every week with my proteins to save time later.
- Spray your air fyer or baking sheet with non stick spray. Preheat to 325 on airfryer 350 for oven.
- Get your 3 bowls and set them in a row
- In the first bowl add protein powder, and 1 of the 3 separated portions of each seasoning. Mix Well
- In the second bowl crack your eggs, add the almond milk and the 2nd of the 3 portions of seasoning. (If you like heat add hot sauce here instead of milk) Mix Well
- In the last bowl add the Parmesan Cheese, Almond Flour, and Psyllium Husk along with the remaining portions of seasonings. Mix well.
- Dip the chicken tenders in one bowl at a time, starting with the protein powder, then coating in egg, and ending in the breading mix. Use the two forks so one is wet and one is dry.
- When they are coated in all three set them in the air fyer or oven tray with some space between them. I had to do this in 2 batches.
- Spray a little non stick coating on top
- For Air Fryer Cook 8 minutes, turn them over and then turn the temperature up to 400 for 5 minutes to crisp both sides
- For oven cook for 10 minutes, flip, and then cook another 10. They may be done sooner depending on your oven.
- Let SIT for at least 2 minutes!
- Enjoy~ Serves 4
That is it! Tasty, juicy, and well cooked. Your times will depend on your oven, size of chicken, and how crowded you made your fryer. Make sure the internal temperature is 165. That is the only way to say for sure it is finished! I hope you try these out and enjoy them as much as we did.
Now, for those visual learners: A picture guide.
That is it! Use it with your favorite sugar free ketchup, bbq, cheese sauce, mustard or aoili 🙂 I personally smashed them with some garlic aoili! Now the Macros:
According to my fitness pal: For one serving of the chicken (assuming you only are feeding 4, this can be broken down further), it is a total of 73.9g of protein, 19.8 grams of fat and 17.2 total carbs and 12.6 grams of fiber for a total of 4.6 carbs!
Yes, it is high in protein but most people need about 100-120 grams a day. It may also be a bit less if you use less protein powder, I think I had some remaining at the end. This is a wonderful meal. Please, give it a try and let me know how you like it!